Sometimes you may need to convert a shared mailbox to a user mailbox. This article will explore three different methods to accomplish this.
1. Converting a shared mailbox to a user mailbox in PowerShell
To convert a shared mailbox to a user mailbox in Microsoft Exchange Server, you can use the “Set-Mailbox” cmdlet with the “Type User” parameter.
Here's the syntax for the cmdlet:
Set-Mailbox [MAILBOXNAME] -Type User
Replace “MAILBOXNAME” with the name of the shared mailbox that you want to convert.
After running this command, the shared mailbox will be converted to a user mailbox, which means it will have a user account associated with it and will be accessible only by that user. This also means that the mailbox will be removed from the list of shared mailboxes, and any permissions or access rights granted to other users will be revoked.
When you convert a shared mailbox to a user mailbox, the data in the mailbox will be preserved, and the user associated with the mailbox will have full control over it.
2. Converting a shared mailbox to a user mailbox in the Exchange Admin Center
- Go to the Exchange admin center.
- Select “Mailboxes”.
- Select the shared mailbox you want to convert to a regular user mailbox.
- Click on “Convert to regular mailbox” on the top menu.
- Go back to the admin center. Under “Users”, choose the user account associated with the old shared mailbox. Assign a license to the account, and then reset the password.
- It will take a few minutes for the mailbox to get set up, but after that, the person who's going to use that account is ready to go. When they sign in, they'll see the email and calendar items that used to be in the shared mailbox.
- For more information refer to Convert a shared mailbox back to user's mailbox.
3. Converting a shared mailbox to a user mailbox in CoreView
To convert a shared mailbox into a regular mailbox using CoreView follow the steps below:
- Go to the CoreView Portal.
- Under “ACTIONS” select “Management actions”.
- Then choose the “Mailbox” category and select “Edit Mailbox Type”.
- This will open up the “Edit Mailbox Type” wizard.
- You can search for the shared mailbox you want to convert or apply a filter under “Recipient type details” to show only the shared mailbox.
- In the following tab, select “User Mailbox” under “Mailbox type”.
- Submit the action.
Operators will only be able to view and manage mailboxes that are part of their defined V-Tenant scope.
With CoreSuite, you can manage every aspect of mailbox permissions, as well as easily create, manage, monitor, and delete mailbox objects and their configurations, all within the scope of your V-Tenant.
CoreSuite is an advanced Microsoft 365 tool offered by CoreView, used for reporting, managing, monitoring, auditing, and automating activities on your tenant. It simplifies daily activities while ensuring safer and more compliant management through tenant delegation, granular permission control, license optimization, and workflow automation.
Visit our main website for more information.